Saturday, September 1, 2007

Confessions of a serial SMSer

I have been accused , recently , of being a serial sms- er .
( Please note that the accusing party , also , couldn’t help complimenting me on the speed with which I can sms , and my ability to be witty while sending an sms every 10 seconds )

In defence of why I like to sms….

Its non intrusive
- With a phone call , the person at the other end HAS to talk to you - You’re on the other end of the phone hanging on and booming in their ear!An sms is like a gentle nudge ….the recipient can easily ignore it if the choose , or can reply at their own pace …

It lets you stay in touch
- With all those people who you want to just say Hi to , but really don’t have enough to say for a full phone conversation

Its a neat way to make new friends
- A lot because of 1 and 2 above. And also because silly small questions seem less silly and less small on a tiny mobile screen than if you were to ask them in person !
It teaches you to be clear about what you want to say
- Try sending a long rambling sms with a reliance phone. After 20 words it will tell you ‘no more space’ and then you just have to cut out the fringes and say what you really want to

Its mental gymnastics
- This is really last but not least .If you have ever had a battle of texts with someone , you’ll know what I mean . With a worthy ‘opponent’ sustaining a volley of sms’s is hugely entertaining and makes you feel happy that you haven’t lost your college debating skills yet

On a somewhat unconnected note – haven’t written anything for ages .Largely because I have also discovered Facebook ( yes the very same social networking site that various employers across UK were thinking of putting a ban on )

The speed with which face book catches on irrespective of age group ( I have facebook friends who are 15 years older and 15 years younger , each with their own networks of friends their own age ) shows how much people want to be in touch , stay connected , and will grab any solution that helps them do so within the madness and speed of everyday living ….With facebook I am now in touch with all my various cousins tossed across the globe - with whom the average frequency of conversation was at Christmas/Diwali depending on which side of the family . Now I get messages saying ‘why does your facebook status say irritated ? what happened’ Also met friends who I haven’t spoken to in YEARS .

Still …all excuses …I am determined to write more regularly now.

No comments: